Interested in applying to Acera? Visit our Admissions page and attend one of our monthly virtual Parent Information Sessions.
Free Remote Learning Toolkit
Acera enables young people to have a runway that fits their potential, developing the next generation of scientists, innovators, and leaders for our world. We are creating a microcosm of what is possible for all schools—early and deep exposure to STEM topics and innovative fields, practice in creative and complex thinking and problem-solving, and opportunities to learn that align with students’ passions and capacities.
We plan on continuing to populate this list as more lessons are piloted and recorded. Email us if you want periodic updates as we add new activities and – over time – expand them into units. Please feel free to share this with others!
Tech Hub (all ages)
- Repairing a Lumitime Clock: Video
- Electric Fireplace repair: Video
- Respectful Disassembly: Keyboards: Video
- Keyboard Reassembly: Video
Tech Hub is a place where students explore computers, smartphones, tablets, robotics, and other tech and is led by Acera’s Technology Manager, David Olson.
- Math games for all ages: PDF
- Earn Up! A video lesson on investments and earnings. Video presentation
- Containers & Beans (K-3): PDF
- How Do I Measure? (3-6): PDF
- The Cube: Origami Polyhedra Activity (4-8): PDF
- Make Your Own Sundial (K-2, but older students may enjoy too): PDF
- Potato Bubbles: A Chemical Reaction (3-9): PDF
- Intro to Microbiomes (4-12): Video Presentation
- Virology: The Original Viral Stars (4-12):
- Part 1, Are Viruses Alive: Student/Teacher Guide:
- Part 1, Are Viruses Alive: Powerpoint
- Part 1, Are Viruses Alive: Presentation + Narration
- Part 2: Hacking Viruses: Full Lesson
- Part 2, Hacking Viruses: Presentation + Narration
- Part 3: The Viral Fossil: Presentation
- Our Beautiful Stinky Friend: A Practical Guide to Fermentation (4-12): Student/Teacher Guide: PDF; Presentation
- Fermentation Bonus Video!
- Four Ingredients, Limitless Possibilities (Make Your Own Bread): PDF
- Hunting & Making Pigments (4-6): PDF
Daily Connection Challenges
Kids (and adults!) need to feel connected during this time of social distancing. Acera classroom teacher Kim Machnik offers a different challenge each weekday to encourage us all to stay positive and connected.
Acera Teachers sharing their work via AceraEI: Art lessons by Camila Garcia Enriquez; Scavenger Hunt by Vanessa Roman; Math lessons by Debbie Seidel; A Bed for Goldilocks & Make Your Own Sundial by Amy Yuschik; Virology Science Lessons by Michael Hirsch; Daily Connection Challenges by Kim Machnik; LEGO Design Challenges by David Alsdorf; Engineering/Architecture Lessons by Estee Hill and Josh Briggs.
To be informed of new lessons, suggestions and resources, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org!