AceraEI Toolkit – Free Remote Learning Projects
As schools plan for a possible return to remote learning during the 2020-21 school year, Acera is sharing resources to make virtual learning engaging and fun. Feel free to use them, adapt them, and share them! We also offer a series of virtual, hands-on after school STEAM classes for kids everywhere! View classes and register.
Acera enables young people to have a runway that fits their potential, developing the next generation of scientists, innovators, and leaders for our world. We are creating a microcosm of what is possible for all schools—early and deep exposure to STEM topics and innovative fields, practice in creative and complex thinking and problem solving, and opportunities to learn that align with students’ passions and capacities.
We plan on continuing to populate this list as more lessons are piloted and recorded. Email us if you want periodic updates as we add new activities and – over time – expand them into units. Please feel free to share this with others!
Interested in applying to Acera? Visit our Admissions page and attend one of our monthly virtual Parent Information Sessions.
- Unpacking the concepts of “Hero” and “Villain” with Julius Caesar
- A year not “lost” but one in which students find themselves
- The importance of adventure playgrounds
- Managing kids’ election interest – and angst – at school
- What to look for in a remote summer camp
- One response to the Covid crisis? A Pop-Up School
- Netiquette & remote schooling norms every family needs to know
- Remote learning is the new normal, now what? Lessons from the first three weeks of distance learning
- Five Steps to Successful Remote Learning for School Leaders & Families
- Parents as coaches: Tactics to support your child during remote learning
- Guide to At Home Remote-Learning for Parents/Caregivers: PDF
Activities and Lessons
- A Bed for Goldilocks (K-2): PDF
- Build a Fort & Optional Pulley System (K-8): PDF
- Pollinator Architecture: Structure & Geometry (4-9): PDF
- Material Exploration: Deconstructing Forms (4-9): PDF
- Foil Float Challenge (K-4): PDF
- Symmetry Drawing (K-2): PDF
- Radial Symmetry Pictures (2-4): PDF
- Rock Art Photo Journal: Study of Cave Paintings (4-6): PDF
LEGO Design Challenges (all ages):
Tech Hub (All Ages):
- Repairing a Lumitime Clock: Video
- Electric Fireplace repair: Video
- Respectful Disassembly: Keyboards: Video
- Keyboard Reassembly: Video
Tech Hub is a place where students explore computers, smartphones, tablets, robotics, and other tech and is led by Acera’s Technology Manager, David Olson.
- Math games for all ages: PDF
- Earn Up! A video lesson on investments and earnings. Video presentation
- Containers & Beans (K-3): PDF
- How Do I Measure? (3-6): PDF
- The Cube: Origami Polyhedra Activity (4-8): PDF
- Make Your Own Sundial (K-2, but older students may enjoy too): PDF
- Potato Bubbles: A Chemical Reaction (3-9): PDF
- Intro to Microbiomes (4-12): Video Presentation
- Virology: The Original Viral Stars (4-12):
- Our Beautiful Stinky Friend: A Practical Guide to Fermentation (4-12): Student/Teacher Guide: PDF; Presentation
- Fermentation Bonus Video!
- Four Ingredients, Limitless Possibilities (Make Your Own Bread): PDF
- Hunting & Making Pigments (4-6): PDF
Mindfulness: Daily Connection Challenges!
Kids (and adults!) need to feel connected during this time of social distancing. Acera classroom teacher Kim Machnik offers a different challenge each weekday to encourage us all to stay positive and connected.
Acera Teachers sharing their work via AceraEI: Art lessons by Camila Garcia Enriquez; Scavenger Hunt by Vanessa Roman; Math lessons by Debbie Seidel; A Bed for Goldilocks & Make Your Own Sundial by Amy Yuschik; Virology Science Lessons by Michael Hirsch; Daily Connection Challenges by Kim Machnik; LEGO Design Challenges by David Alsdorf; Engineering/Architecture Lessons by Estee Hill and Josh Briggs.
To be informed of new lessons, suggestions and resources, please send us an email to email@example.com! For more information on who we are, click below.