Core Capacities we foster at Acera:
Systems Thinking: See the whole picture and its parts across social, cultural, societal, scientific, and historical perspectives. Understand the interconnectedness of forces and actions.
Perspective Taking: Awareness that the place and experiences of the viewer fundamentally affects what and how they see. Develop capacity to see through the eyes of others.
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving: Inquire deeply, analyze and relate different aspects to each other, break things down and recombine them to assess a situation and address a need
Collaboration: Work with others to create something and to achieve a result that supersedes the contributions of any one individual.
Creativity: Free thought and inquiry resulting in original work or novel approaches to express an idea. Divergent thinking and creative problem solver.
Emotional Intelligence: Self awareness to know your gifts and challenges, self regulation to control impulses and focus your potential, awareness of the impact of self on others, and capacity to read the group and take the role that is needed.
Ethical Decision Making: Make decisions and choices according to values, morals, and a sense of what is right.
Leadership: Empower to see needs and step forward to make a difference. Rally others in relevant ways with original ideas (and/or against real world needs). Realize a vision for change and combine the contributions of others to bring it to life.
Key Skills & Knowledge Base
Skills to be developed appropriately, over time:
- Deep reading and literature proficiency
- Writing and ability to express ideas in many formats
- Applied mathematics as the language of science and tool for life
- Ability to apply scientific thinking and discovery approaches across disciplines
- Develop perspective-taking skills and a lens that appreciates history and varying cultural reference points
- Technology fluency and ability to use technology as an integrated tool for work and expression
- Conceptual skills
- Understanding of how things work
- Capacity to think across disciplines with agility